Thursday, August 8, 2013

Loneliness & water colored eyes

I caught the smell of french fries driving home and thought of you
orchestrating a team of heavy equipment, seasonal workers,
and a dog with eyes bluer than the water laid about my drive
like some giant putt putt wonderland.

I considered lunacy briefly before settling on loneliness.

Being about foreign to me as riding a rainbow
it was no surprise that I failed to see
that I had not dipped into lunacy,
though the idea held a certain charm.

I figured it had something to do with the lack of recognition
or plain old fashioned envy.

Lunatics didn't wander about their way home
smelling fries & conjuring dogs with water colored eyes,
they went about the business of riding rainbows
and seeing golf courses where none belonged
with no more thought than the banker down the street
gave to closing the little store we visited that
first weekend.

I supposed there was a bit of lunacy mixed in there
wandering about my drive home with what and why
fighting for space between exits and trees
that looked as if they'd move too, given the choice.

Can you imagine a trail of trees, horses, dogs,
and a lone cat trudging toward the desert
where surely new life was needed.

Certainly there'd be a tangle of roots
and the call for water along the way;
settling takes time, even the cat
with its penchant for wanderlust
knew that much.







No comments: